Monday, May 10, 2010

Cubism

On the weekend my friend and I started watching this old documentary series on art, called The Shock of the New, where they cover a range of art history and brief but interesting descriptions of different art styles and interpretations. The most interesting of these, and something I want to read more about is cubism. I never understood surrealist art like Picasso, but the idea of cubism is that you are trying to show the viewer more than one side of something in a two dimensional painting. I never understood where they were getting the ideas to draw the way they did, but it makes so much sense now. Futurism is also pretty cool, how they are trying to express motion or the passage of time in a single picture as well.

It made me think, what phase in art history are we in right now? They have names for periods and categories for every progressive style, except i dont' think they have one for us yet, because we are still in the middle of it?

No comments: