Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Saucyyyyy

I was out of tomato sauce and so went to buy some more. Being a cheap ass, I find Ragu to be most affordable. Only thing is, my regular flavor (which is also the cheapest, some flavors are more expensive) Tomato and Basil, was "light" tomato sauce - 33% less calories. Still having one of my old bottles I was able to do a side by side comparison:

Regular sauce: Water, tomato paste, tomatoes, soybean oil, dehydrated vegetables (onion, garlic, parsley), basil salt, natural flavor, spice, tomato puree, calcium chloride, citric acid, sulphites. May contain milk ingredients.

Light sauce: Tomato puree, water, diced tomatoes, diced onions, sugar, salt, garlic powder, calcium chloride, dried parsley, dried basil, spices & spice extract, citric acid. May contain milk ingredients, sulphites

Seems like the only difference is instead of adding soybean oil as filler, they add sugar. The light sauce has 0g of fat, while the regular sauce has 4.5g (per 125 ml). The regular sauce also has 11g of carbs, with 3 being fibre 5g being sugar and 3g of starch. The light has 12g of carbs with only 2g fibre 9g sugar and only 1g starch. The light sauce had a higher daily recommended intake of Vitamin A and the regular was higher in calcium and iron.

The light sauce definitely tasted sweeter and was much more runny. The soybean oil probably also helps thicken the sauce and hold it together better. I don't really like eating sugar in everything that goes in my mouth, so I'm probably gonna stick with the regular sauces.

No comments: