Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Stand up straight!


I draw this simple little comic about the continuing adventures of the tin man and scarecrow. I don't consider myself an artist, but I see it as good practice for drawing and writing story and dialogue. Anyway, the art is really simple, and i try to draw it pretty quickly and one time I drew the tin man with a quite curved line, and he looked really slouchy and wrong. I didn't think it was a particularly huge curve to the line either, but the difference was dramatic. He looked quite pathetic, broken and unlikeable.

This made me think more about my own posture, which is something I've been more conscious of over the last year or so. Good, or 'neutral' posture is when the 3 natural spinal curves are present, and ears, shoulders, hips, knees and ankles are all vertically aligned. As you can see in the picture, only a slight misalignment is bad posture.

I had always hoped that doing yoga every day would help balance my muscles and give me more natural posture, but I guess even that cannot erase a lifetime of sitting in front of a computer. I feel like I am constantly trying to sit up, and push my neck back so it is hovering over my shoulders, which seems to be the worst of it. Sometimes it actually hurts holding my head in the right position, the whole thing is difficult but important!

No comments: