Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Twenty Minutes with Mr. Tarantino


The place where I work at, the mens washroom on my floor has a magazine rack.  Thats right, there is a holder in our bathroom that holds magazines to browse when you're on the can.  This is a genius idea and makes me think that maybe some companies aren't all bad.  It is possible that upper management doesn't know about it, but they don't read this blog.

Anyhow, because of this rack I feel the urge to buy a new magazine for it from time to time, mostly because NOBODY ELSE EVER BUYS MAGAZINES.  Don't get me wrong, I understand why noone would want to waste money on what is most often essentially the paper equivilant of junk food.
 However, some magazines can be fun (until its read, then its not good for much else but the pictures, which i think is why many people prefer trashy teen mags with girls in tight clothes.  magazines can also be used for collages or making funny pictures by mixing and matching)

Oh man I am off topic again.  So I started looking through magazines at Chapters, upset over the fact that magazines are either overpriced or devoid of content (Vice is the only magazine where the ads are actually better than the content, for some reasons advertisers don't even try to make good ads for the majority of mags).  Fortunately, I keep looking and find that Quentin Tarantino does an interview in Esquire to promote Inglorious Basterds.  Now I can't wait for the next time I have to shit at work.

I read most of the article in one sitting, it's enjoyable.  I end up reading some more interviews afterwords, and I find out that when he finished writing Basterds, he had about 30 hours worth of screenplay.  THIRTY HOURS!!!!!!!  Holy crap, that guy can write.  Obviously when you are seeing a Tarantino film you are getting the cream of the cream, but I am blown away by just the sheer volume he can spout out, most  of it likely dialogue, what he seems to be good at, and which I fail hard at every time I pick up the pen.

I don't consider myself a writer and I will probably never get anything published, but good dialogue is something I would really love to get good at.  I immediately remembered that book Stephen King wrote and how his books get rewritten so much the end product does not resemble the original product at all except in idea.  It made me think, what if Quentin already wrote something similar on how he writes and what he finds works and what doesn't.  I would pay a lot of money for a book like that, but sadly it doesn't exist.  Then after that I started daydreaming about what kinds of questions I would ask Quentin if I were interviewing him, or preferably just hanging out with him.  Then I realized all the questions would be about him telling me his writing techniques, how he gets started and the periods he spends writing, and how he does rewrites.  He might think I'm an idiot or that I need to learn to just do it on my own, but I'd ask him anyway.

No comments: