Monday, October 26, 2009

Moldy Chair!


My roommate mentioned to me that the landlord was wondering if we are going to get rid of my favorite chair.  At the time, the chair was outside, due to the fact that one of my other roommate's friends is such an alcoholic that he, in a drunken stupor, pissed on my favorite chair.  I was mortified of course, because it was worn out in places and the foam was exposed.  If the chair had been in better shape, it's leather outer coating could have easily deflected even the most ammonia heavy of urines.  But as it was in the shape it was in, I was just disgusted and didn't want to have anything to do with it.  So I dumped it outside in the mid summer, and it seemed fine.  Problem being, I never hang out outside my house anywhere, so I forgot all about it, and in came the rainy season.  So when I went to look at it, I realized that my landlord was being perfectly reasonable.  It was soaked with the constant rain that we've been getting all October, and it was black and yellow with mold.

Looking at the chair again, I couldn't forget how much I loved it, even though it was moldy and gross.  So I made a plan to resurrect the chair - I would remove the moldy gross parts, and rebuild it with new foam and cheap leather.  I took it apart last night and got some measurements for the parts i need to replace.  I washed the pieces of leather that are still usable, and I wiped the frame down with some bleachy water.  My next step is to track down this upholstery repair guy I got the number of back when I decided I was gonna do this, and see if he can help me out.

No comments: