Monday, October 5, 2009

I Like Food

I'm sure you feel the same way.  There isn't too many people I know who are like eww no get that delicious food away from me.  So I guess I was being a little naive when I decided to go out with some friends Friday night for some pub fare and found out that every place is busy.  everywhere.

Apparently there is an old saying that goes "if you want to lose money, own a restaurant".  I don't see how that could be true Friday night, where every table is busy and every waitress wishes they were anywhere else.  I don't know how much it costs to keep a restaurant running, but with the prices being what they are in Victoria, you have a hard time convincing me all restaurants are poor.  Victoria, being a tourist town, has a crapload of restaurants...so many that lots of them shut down during the winter because apparently their food is so shitty they need tourists who know nothing about them to keep them running.

People in Victoria like to eat food.  I've seen it.  And it's not like people don't have the cash.  Can you imagine a restaurant that is so shitty that even ravenous, loaded SUV's full of yuppies won't go to them.  Here's a tip about owning a restaurant: DONT MAKE SHITTY FOOD.  It might be cheap, but people won't come back, and its regular customers that keep your restaurant going.  I am a regular to some places around town, like the Italian Food Imports on Blanshard and the Fiesta Cafe at Douglas and Broughton.  I can tell they appreciate the regulars, because they make good food.  It's not gourmet or chichi fifi gimmick food.  Its decent portions for decent prices, and it tastes good.

One other tip, don't ever order pizza from Sarpino's.  It's worth than eating a decaying corpse.  If you're sitting around somewhere, too lazy to cook but really hungry, do yourself a favor.  Instead of ordering Sarpino's just go out to your back yard and grab a big handful of dirt and just start chewing on that.  I guarente it tastes better than the congealed piss they serve at Sarpino's.

No comments: